Thursday, June 17, 2010

Writing for Children






I have always had a passion for books. From the time I was in diapers I loved being read to, and once I learned how to read I always had a book in hand. I can still remember reading my books before bed as a child - feverishly turning each page; trying to finish that night's story or chapter before my mom forced me to turn off the light and go to bed. I discovered early in life that books can provide solace, entertainment, humor, even life lessons.

A small sample of my childhood favorites that exemplify these qualities include Arthur's Good Manners by Stephanie Calmenson, absolutely anything written by Shel Silverstein whether it was Where the Sidewalk Ends or The Giving Tree, Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel, and the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. I also have fond memories of building forts in my bedroom with sheets and pillows and hiding out for hours while reading my R.L. Stine books from the Fear Street saga. This is when I first discovered my affection for mysteries.

I know that it was my love of reading that led to my passion for writing. A dream of mine has been to one day write at least one children's book and have it published. This is a dream I have now decided to pursue which is one of the reasons I am taking a summer class called Writing for Children in which we will learn various writing techniques, interact with published authors (including the author of the Olivia book series), and even learn how to get our work published! I am really looking forward to all that this class has to offer and hope to develop my skills as a writer.

Although I am now considered a "grown up" I still have such affection for the books from my childhood (among many others) as each one has played a role in shaping me to be the reader I am as well as the author I aspire to be. They have challenged me to be a kind and caring friend (thanks Frog & Toad), to look for humor in everyday life (I owe it to you Shel Silverstein), and to always remember my manners at the dinner table!

2 comments:

  1. Carly, this is so wonderful and inspirational! I love reading your new blogs...I find them very touching and inspiring. I always knew you would do something to help the youth, whether it was through teaching or writing and you must be so proud and excited to find your niche. How did you find out about this class and is it located at a college? I hope this class is very joyous for you and I will definitely be looking out for your book(s) to purchase one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds amazing! Wouldn't it be fun if I were still in CT and you and I could take this together? I've always had a love of children's literature too!

    ReplyDelete